St. Croix, VI
Welcome to Buck Island! Before you come, please watch our 2014 Telly Award winning film "Caribbean Gem." Watching this will catch you up on 50+ years of National Park Service protection and civic engagement. Learn what we do every day to preserve this resource for Virgin Islanders and visitors alike. For the General Management Plan and Environmental Compliance, visit the News page.
National Historic Site
St. Croix, VI
No place in the Caribbean still demonstrates the architectural, economic, and political influence of Europe like Christiansted National Historic Site. Come wander through 18th century buildings in one the Caribbean's few urban parks. It is a unique experience that you will never forget.
National Historical Park and Ecological Preserve
St. Croix, VI
Salt River Bay National Historical Park and Ecological Preserve uniquely documents the human and natural Caribbean world from the earliest indigenous settlements in the central Caribbean to their clash with seven different colonial European powers to the present day.
Virgin Islands National Park is more than just beautiful beaches. Hike to plantation ruins to learn about a time when sugar dominated the island. Visit the ancient petroglyphs carved by the Taino Indians. Come snorkel the coral reefs to discover hidden marine life. Two-thirds of the island of St. John is national park, making it a unique destination for visitors from around the world.
St. John, VI
Virgin Islands Coral Reef National Monument includes federal submerged lands within the 3-mile belt off the island of St. John. These waters support a diverse and complex system of coral reefs and other ecosystems such as shoreline mangrove forests and seagrass beds.
By The Numbers
- 5 National Parks
- 228,966 Visitors to National Parks
- $33,500,000 Economic Benefit from National Park Tourism »
- $426,759 of Rehabilitation Projects Stimulated by Tax Incentives (since 1995) »
- $2,453,236 of Land & Water Conservation Fund Appropriated for Projects (since 1965) »
- $13,518,451 in Historic Preservation Grants (since 1969) »
- 2 Community Conservation & Recreation Projects (since 1987) »
- 2 Acres Transferred by Federal Lands to Parks for Local Parks and Recreation (since 1948) »
- 38,514 Hours Donated by Volunteers »
- 90 National Register of Historic Places Listings »
- 5 National Historic Landmarks »
- 7 National Natural Landmarks »
- 203 Places Recorded by Heritage Documentation Programs »
- 884,020 Objects in National Park Museum Collections »
- 204 Archeological Sites in National Parks »
- 14 Threatened & Endangered Species in National Parks »
- 3 Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itineraries »
- Print the summary »
These numbers are just a sample of the National Park Service's work. Figures are for the fiscal year that ended 9/30/2018.